Thursday, October 3, 2013

The map grows


I sketched some of the beginning map in my free time after reading on the ZDoom forums that it's much better to write out your map's layout on paper rather than winging it in the editor. I agree. Makes it seem a lot simpler, plus you don't have to worry about spare vertices and sticky sectors and all that other confusing shit if you want to change something. On paper you can just erase it or scribble it out. So I have almost all of the tutorial beginning map drawn out on paper. Makin' progress. Only thing left is that I just need to find a proper way to transition from the building to the inner city.

As you can notice in the screenshot I rely heavily on dynamic lights for this mod, and possibly aside from subtle brightness changes in the sectors, I think it'll be the main source of light for the entire mod. Including the flashlight of course, which I still need to work on the sprites for. Was planning on having a button turn the flashlight off, but realized that it's probably pointless, come to think of it. You wouldn't equip the flashlight just to fucking turn it off and wander around in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment